Just a Few Minutes Emergency Support
Providing free training in emergency first aid
This one-day course covers every age group, from tiny new-born babies to infants, children and adults
Some Chilling Facts:
- Brain damage can occur after just 4 minutes unconsciousness
- More children die from accidents than from Leukaemia or Meningitis
- Over 2 million children are hospitalised by accidents each year - half in the home
- One third of all road traffic victims would be alive today had immediate action been taken
The first 4 minutes following an accident are critical to survival - a large percentage of deaths could be prevented if immediate action was taken.
The East Midlands Ambulance Service (EMAS) has 850 emergency vehicles to cover the 6 counties of Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Lincolnshire, Northants, Leicestershire and Rutland.
- With a population of 4.6 million this means that there is 1 ambulance for every 18,478 people in the region.
- 76% of EMAS ambulances reached category A emergency (A life-threatening emergency) calls within 8 minutes.
- 97% of EMAS ambulances reached category A emergency calls within 19 minutes.
(Statistics courtesy of EMAS)
The South Yorkshire Ambulance Service has been incorporated within the Yorkshire Ambulance Service (YAS). The YAS has 269 emergency vehicles to cover North Yorkshire and the East Riding, South Yorkshire and West Yorkshire.
- With a population of 5.4 Million over 5000 square miles this means that there is 1 ambulance for every 20,074 people in the region.
Between 1st April 2007 and 21st November 2007:
- 74.6% of YAS ambulances reached category A emergency calls within 8 minutes
- 96.3% of YAS ambulances reached category A emergency calls within 19 minutes
- 92.6% of YAS ambulances reached category B emergency calls within 19 minutes
(Statistics courtesy of YAS)
Having the skills and knowledge to sustain an injured person until the arrival of an emergency ambulance with a highly trained crew could be the difference between life and death or significant life impairment